As much as I love to cook, I also love eating a delicious, homemade meal that I have not had to cook myself. Charlie surprised me this morning with these awesome breakfast burritos that he threw together with some leftover bacon and sweet potato fries... they were too good not to share!
Sweet Potato Fry Breakfast Burritos
- 2 tortillas (we used Trader Joe's Chia Seed Flour Tortillas)
- 1 cup of sweet potato fries (cooked) (we used Trader Joe's Sweet Potato Fries - from the freezer section)
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt (we used Trader Joe's Non-fat Plain Greek Yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon of Sriracha
- 3 eggs
- 2-3 tablespoons of milk
- 1 piece of cooked bacon (diced)
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon of chopped green onion
- 2 cups of arugula
- Whisk together the eggs and the milk.
- Reheat the sweet potato fries. (Charlie broiled them in the toaster oven for a few minutes until they started to brown.)
- Mix together the yogurt and Sriracha to make a sauce to spoon on top of the burritos (this was really, really good, so don't skip this step!).
- Add the diced, cooked bacon to the pan and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally until the pan looks greased and the bacon is heated through.
- Add the sliced cherry tomatoes to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring the tomatoes occasionally to combine them with the bacon.
- Add the scrambled egg/milk mixture to the pan (with the bacon and tomatoes) and scramble it all for a few minutes until cooked. Once cooked, remove the pan from the heat and add salt and pepper to the mixture (to taste).
- Heat the tortillas. (Charlie used this method which he learned from his friend, Paul - I had never heard of this, but it sounds awesome and made the tortillas really tasty: Place the tortillas over low to medium flame on gas burner for about 30 seconds until they are warm and soft. Flip and repeat on other side.)
- Burrito assembly: Place egg/bacon/tomato mixture on top of a flat tortilla. Place a handful of arugula on top of that. Next, add the sweet potato fries. Spoon the yogurt sauce on top and spread it over the fries. Lastly, sprinkle the burritos with green onions.
- Breakfast is served!
P.S. - Can you tell that we love Trader Joe's?!? We're obsessed. I'm thinking about sharing our TJ's favorites in a post soon!