Apr 16, 2012

Market Saturdays

One of my favorite things here in Dominica is the market on Saturday mornings.  It begins around 5 AM (that's not the part I like) and lasts throughout the morning.  On the days that I am able to drag myself out of bed, maybe around 6 or 7 AM (waking and functioning at 5 AM is not something of which I'm capable!), I love enjoying a quiet morning and heading down to the market.  If you know me, then you probably know that I am not a morning person, so this is a huge feat, and you're probably thinking, "this market must be pretty special," and you're right, it absolutely is!

Early on Saturday mornings is one of the most peaceful times I have experienced here in Dominica.  The sun is coming up and the birds are chirping excitedly, but otherwise the town is quiet.  The air is still cool and crisp.  This past Saturday, I arose early and headed out to the market.  I decided to walk the thirty minute walk (proudly passing up the handful of cars and buses who offered me rides along the way - I love trying to be tough!) to get in a little exercise and enjoy the quiet.


On the way to the market, I passed many birds, cows, goats and chickens.  At one point I passed a student walking her strangely scruffy-looking dog.  I couldn't resist petting the crazy little creature, so while chatting and admiring her fuzzball, I'm pretty sure that I drooled on her dog; it was early, my mouth was agape, and a stream of drool cascaded from my mouth onto her crazy critter's fuzzy head. What is happening, was the only thing I could muster up, and I got the heck out of dodge.  It was 6 AM, I blame it entirely on my inability to function before 9 AM.

Arose at 6 AM.  Check.
Put on shoes, bra, and underpants (the essentials, in addition to regular clothes, don't worry, I'm not that crazy).  Check.
Drooled on crazy dog. Check.
Ran for my life because I drooled on crazy dog.  Check.

So, I did the skedaddle and kept trucking towards the market.  Along the way I passed our favorite restaurant, an awesome little hole-in-the-wall with great seafood and lots of character...


I also took in the spectacular view along the way as I continued my walk...


Incredible, huh?

When I arrived at the market, it was everything I'd remembered it to be and more! (Sadly, it had been awhile since I'd last gotten up at 6 AM to visit the market).

I purchased fruits and veggies galore from this kind lady.  Look at her gorgeous carrots and green onions (which they call chives here and pronounce sives)!


Then there were the awesome heads of fresh lettuce for 1 EC (37 cents!) from these guys, who spent their morning yelling, "Lovely lettuce!  Right here! Would the lovely lady like some lovely lettuce?"  Yes, yes, I would... 



There was produce from the back of a grandpa's truck.  He was fully stocked with lettuce, papaya, watermelon, dasheen, ginger, string beans, tomatoes, plantains, all grown on his own farm.  There was even a bottle of rum...


There was more produce, coconuts, and best of all, fresh sugar cane, nature's candy: crunchy, juicy, and sweet as can be!


I couldn't pass up a jelly coconut, filled with fresh coconut water, hacked open by Eddie especially for me! 


Can we talk about how awesome his car filled with coconuts is?!? Seriously, I love it! 

I loaded my bags, which were so heavy that I got a ride home.  Check out my loot:


Needless to say, we ate grapefruits for breakfast all week long and we're still enjoying the beautiful flowers!  I forgot to put my lovely lettuce in the photo, but it really was lovely. 

And that, friends, is why I love the market.  Minus drooling on dogs, it makes for a perfect start to my Saturday, every time!

What's your favorite weekend ritual?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...