Jun 15, 2011

Second semester, going strong!


I know I've been a stranger, but with exams last semester, moving to a new apartment, our trip home, my extra time in the U.S. to attend Frannie's college graduation (you go, girl!), Frannie's visit to Dominica, and my trip with Frannie to St. Maarten, it has taken me a little while to get settled back in to life here on the island.



Charlie has been working hard to master neuroanatomy (my worst nightmare!) and is studying night and day in preparation for Mini 1, the first huge test of the semester. He has also gotten to do a little bit of work outside of the classroom, diagnosing a standardized patient, and playing dominoes with the older generation of Dominicans at a local senior citizens center. I think it was a nice break to step out of the classroom for a little while! As always, he is working and studying like I have never seen. His dedication is amazing, and I know it will pay off!

[caption id="attachment_359" align="aligncenter" width="546" caption="The kittens, just a few days old. Please focus on them and not my grungy, sweaty appearance, which sadly is inevitable in this insane heat... We're talking boiling heat with 70% humidity. I was so hot and flustered the other day on my walk home that I choked on my own spit and almost passed out on the road. No joke. It's so hot you can't even breathe properly!"][/caption]

I have been busy volunteering with CALLS (the alternative high school) and In.Light.In (a ministry working with local kids on Friday afternoons), serving on RSO's (Ross Spouses Organization) board helping with fundraising, and mainly just trying to stay cool. It has been unbelievably (unbearably) hot lately, so just trying to maintain a functional body temperature has been a task in and of itself! I've also spent lots of time with friends, mostly hiking, swimming, having game nights, and hanging out in the air conditioned coffee shop. My friend Brandi's cat just had 7 kittens, so I spend as much time as I can watching those little cuties (I actually saw the mama cat give birth to 2 of them... CRAZY!). And I am looking forward to a fun day with Charlie after his test next week!!!

[caption id="attachment_357" align="aligncenter" width="584" caption="Contrary to popular belief, this is NOT how Charlie spends his days. (Only after a big test!)"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_363" align="aligncenter" width="584" caption="This, however, is how I do spend mine!"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_360" align="aligncenter" width="584" caption="Sisters at Frannie's graduation from Sewanee"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_362" align="aligncenter" width="584" caption="Enjoying a hike and swim during Fran's visit"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_361" align="aligncenter" width="584" caption="Our  fabulous porch view!"][/caption]

P.S. -- I apologize if this post has the lame sound of a holiday Christmas letter, updating you a little too chipperley on our fabulous life and the many accomplishments of our 4 amazing children (all on the honor roll!) and their little league championships.  (As I proofread this myself, that's the vibe I got.)  Luckily, I spared you from having to read about the accomplishments of our 4 amazing children since we have none.

2 comments:

  1. I found this post very hilarious and enlightening on your daily activities! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chokin on your own spit, eh Clare Bear?!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...