Jun 19, 2013

Hello + why I gave up gluten & dairy


Have I really not blogged since April?  Oops.  Even though I'm not working at the moment, life is busy, you know?!?

We're finally feeling settled in our cute apartment and are getting into the swing of things.  We're learning the way around our neighborhood and are slowly getting the hang of the city, the El, and such.  Charlie just finished his surgery rotation and moved onto pediatrics this week.  And - I got a job!!!  I will be teaching art at a middle school in the city starting in August, and am looking forward to getting back into teaching.  Moving from elementary school to middle school will be a challenge, but I'm up for it!  Job hunting has taken up a great deal of my time in the last couple of months and I'm excited to finally have that behind me.

I spent two weeks in the South in May, visiting Tennessee for my cute sister's college graduation. I also visited Virginia Beach and Richmond for a dear friend's fun (and gorgeous!) wedding.  This weekend, we are headed back to Virginia for my cousin's wedding, and I cannot wait.  We leave tomorrow for a beautiful wedding weekend in the mountains with family!

I've also been doing a ton of reading and cooking lately.  Food-wise, I've given up gluten and dairy for the past three weeks in an attempt to clear up my skin and it is really working.  (If you don't want to read about my zits, stop reading here.)  For the past year or so, I have had lots of deep, cystic-type zits around my jawline area (the huge kind that really hurt).  I'm talking honkers so big that I have actually gotten huge swollen glands trying to fight the infections.  Yikes.  After chatting with my sister about a chart she saw on Pinterest explaining what acne on certain areas of your face can mean, I did a little Google research.  Apparently, this type of skin problem (jawline acne) can be caused by the inability to properly digest gluten and dairy.  So, I decided to test this out and see if it made any difference - and so far it really has.  With three weeks dairy and gluten free under my belt, I can already tell a huge difference.  My skin has cleared up, I feel less lethargic, and I have a lot more energy.  The hardest part was figuring out what exactly going gluten-free meant, and which foods contain gluten (which is actually a ton of foods).  Once I figured out what I could eat, it has been pretty easy.

As you may know, I love to cook, and I rarely cook the same time twice.  Cooking allows me to be creative in a way that is less intense than creating art (which I love, but it takes a lot out of me), so I have loved finding new gluten and dairy free recipes and have cooked some pretty awesome gluten and dairy free treats in the past few weeks.  If you follow me on Instagram, you've probably seen some of the recipes that I've shared on there, but I plan on sharing them here on the blog as well.  

Also, the Etsy shop? It's now a summer project - I will keep y'all posted on its progress!

I hope you're having a great week, friends!



Image by Clare Wilkinson for C Squared W.

Enjoying the adventures? Like us on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...