Feb 25, 2012

What's Cooking

Remember when we got a grocery store here in Picard last April?  It was AMAZING!  I have to remind myself of this when I go to buy some groceries for dinner and well... I leave with a bag of crackers instead, because I can't find what I have a hankering for or what I need for something I was hoping to make.

Case in point:

I went to the grocery store today and the produce section looked like this:
  • strange root vegetables covered in bark that look way too difficult to deal with (I know the names of them, but I'm just being dramatic.)

  • brown-spotted bananas

  • basket of onions with fruit flies flying around in it

  • soft potatoes

  • tons of cucumbers (I bought 3)

  • 3 bags of local lettuce past its prime

  • 3 Vidalia onions (weird)

  • 1 package of broccoli that was yellow/brown

  • 15EC ($5) bags of month-old carrots
When IGA has just gotten a shipment in, it can be like Christmas it's so wonderful in there, but when it's bare in there, oh man, is it bare!  Anyways - you get the drift - the grocery store situation is unpredictable!

This results in Caribbean Hoarding Syndrome.  When the grocery store was fully stocked over Christmas, I bought 3 cans of enchilada sauce because, well, who knows when they'll have it again?

Last week, like the Caribbean Hoarder that I am, I bought 2 packages of this bacon.  It made me laugh:


Hotel Brand. Sliced in the Tradition of Fine Hotels.

What. are. you. talking. about?  So funny.



If you're a good baker, ignore this next sentence, you'll be absolutely horrified, but if you're lazy, can't bake, and like sweets, read on: yesterday morning, I made this deliciousness for Charlie and I for breakfast and it was the bomb.  Coffee cake, in a mug, that takes less than 5 minutes to throw together.  A mini little coffee cake that you microwave in a mug.  Oh yes.  My kind of baking!



Today I scavenged and found some chicken and a leek, so I'm planning on making this Chicken and Dumplings recipe from Bon Appetit (minus the homemade gnocchi ricotta - I'm just using some packaged gnocchi)... I'll let you know the verdict!

***Verdict: the chicken and dumplings was amazing.  Make it, you will be so happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...